Benefits of Collaborating | Unveiled + Crowned: Collab Ambition | Part I
photography by Imajworx
Summer will be upon us soon and I am looking forward to all the amazing things it has to offer. One of the main things is my new collaboration with Sonsearai Dominique, natural hairstylist and blogger of "Crown & Glory". What is this collaboration you ask? ... it is "UNVEILED + CROWNED". We will be sharing both of our personal and professional advice, insight and journey. So, if you haven't guessed it already...this blog post marks it's official debut. Yaaay!
To celebrate our first collaboration venture, we decided to have a sisters brunch at Fritti and then enjoyed a nice stroll through Atlanta's Belt-line. For our first Collab Ambition Post, we are discussing the Benefits of Collaborating. I think this is the perfect topic to get things started. I hope you all enjoy this and stay tune for more wonderful things to come with "UNVEILED + CROWNED". Now, let's get into it...
First, please understand that blogging takes a lot of work - more than people realize. Well, at least for me. It is different for every blogger. I spend about 4-8 hours of work for every blog post between preparing, actual shooting, editing of images, writing, and promoting to my network of readers. I take my blogging seriously and I hope you noticed the quality of the work I put out there. And I want to improve more and more.
My Key Benefits of Collaborating:
1. Collaboration can inspire you. It is easy to get into a routine during the day-to-day operations of your business and forget that there may be a better way to do something, different techniques to try, and new tools that can save you time and money.
While you can read blogs, magazines, and books for inspiration, if you are not communicating, sharing, and discussing that information, the benefits are limited. It is vital to get outside of your own head in order to get a fresh perspective, trigger your creativity, review incoming information objectively, and add new contexts to the data you are gathering so you can use it effectively. Going beyond what you do and see each day to explore collaborations can be inspiring and help you think in a new way.
2. Collaboration helps you grow your network. Successful entrepreneurs have a common interest in meeting new people and building a list of contacts and colleagues. Being successful in business requires that you consistently make connections and form alliances. Imagine how your business would dwindle if you continued to network with and sell to the same group over and over again. Although, every contact you make may not result in collaboration, every time you reach out to someone to explore the possibility...you are expanding your brand and network.
3. Collaboration is edifying. One of the biggest benefits of collaboration is the opportunity for growth and knowledge. In fact, every interaction you have with someone outside of your immediate circle can teach you something valuable. Some of the most successful collaborations involve two professionals who bring two very different skill sets, perspectives, and strengths to the table. Expanding yourself should be something that is essential for your own well-being.
4. Collaboration can help you save money. Joining forces can assist in splitting intellectual contribution, hands-on projects, and sometimes expenses. If you collaborate with another business and part of the terms involve sharing development and marketing expenses, you can double your budget while reducing costs. You also may partner with someone that have the skill sets, and resources that you need for a particular post you are working on. Bonus, it provides all of the parties involved with equal investment with the success of the collaboration.
5. Collaboration solves problems. The saying is true..."two minds are better than one".
If one person can't accomplish something on his or her own, two, three or more people may be able to get it done.
Think about the last difficult problem you faced. When you were stuck or confused, most of us immediately go to an outside source, mentor, or other trusted people who act as a sounding board. Essentially helping us work through the issue at hand. And when you add new viewpoints and experiences, the end result will often transcend what you originally planned.
What Sonsearai Dominique brings to me, my blog and my brand...
1. My Hairstylist
Sonsearai keeps my hair together...okay! Taking pictures of myself is a major part of blogging. So, keeping myself up in many ways has become even more of an important thing. I'm typically in a protective style (75% of the time) when it comes to my hair. It's so low maintenance and I can get up and go. However, in between those moments, I need my natural growing hair to be tended to and Sonsearai does that for me. Keeping it trimmed, moisturized and just overall healthy. We collaborate on my hairstyles quite often, even before this blogging thing started. Her work allows me to feel more confident in my pictures. Bonus!
When she's not busy being the "Boss Mom" that she is, she edits my blog post. Assisting me with my terrible grammar and sentence structure. She's not always available but when she is, I am truly grateful for her strength in writing skills and grammar. However, writing is something I enjoy and I knew it was something I needed to conquer. With each post, I am finding my voice more and more. I am developing my skills with grammar and sentence structure. I am improving. But, you know what - this is a blog/personal diary for me. So, it's not suppose to be an English essay or dissertation...so I'm good and ya'll just chill. Lol!
We all have strengths/weaknesses and she knows mine for the most part. When I need to have a different perspective on something, when I need to chill the heck out, when I need to do better or when I need to face something - she's there to let me know. She counteracts my unproductive qualities and helps to enhance my wonderful qualities. Even when there are times when, we have to agree to disagree, she is still there to give me the constructive criticism I need and desire in certain areas. This is something I crave to have around me - from friends, associates, business partners, family and even a companion. I need her honesty to bring balance.
4. Support and Encouragement
She has supported and encouraged me throughout my journey. When she doesn't have to, she chooses to support and encourage me. We both have ups and downs. That's something that is a promise in life like death and taxes. However, it's a blessing when you have someone that makes the choice to be apart of something that you have a personal passion for or feel is apart of your purpose in life. I am very well aware that it's an added plus to have her believing in me. There aren't many people in the world that has that. Be it, helping me out financially at times or just lending her time, skills, ear, and expertise - from my personal film projects, photo shoots, blog, and even my personal life, she has done what she can to assist me with encouragement. I don't feel like I am alone when I take the time out to really assess my situation. We tend to want support and encouragement in certain ways and that is due to our own personal LOVE LANGUAGE (take quiz) which I believe is true. But, I see her support and appreciate her encouragement.
Now, go over to the Crown + Glory Blog
and subscribe for Sonsearai's views on collaborating and what I bring to her blog, brand and personal life.